Erbil, Kurdistan Region, Iraq (GOV.KRD) – After thorough consultations with the Ministry of Health on the continued spread of the coronavirus and emergence of a new strain of the virus in some countries, the Kurdistan Regional Government has issued the following decisions:
1. Private and public schools for first, second, and twelfth graders will remain closed until January 16, after which there will be a review of health conditions;
2. First, second, and twelfth graders can voluntarily benefit from online classes and remote learning;
3. Public and private school students from grades three to eleven will continue with remote learning. Group visits to schools will be suspended until January 16, after which there will be a review of health conditions;
4. Schools in villages or areas with limited internet access or a limited number of students, will remain shut for all grades;
5. Private nursery schools will close until January 16, after which there will be a review of health conditions;
6. Public and private institutes run by the Ministry of Education will close until January 16, after which there will be a review of health conditions;
7. The Ministry of Education will benefit from public holidays to adjust its schedule and exams, if necessary;
8. Universities and institutes will continue running the “blended learning system” for scientific departments until January 16 in full compliance of public health guidelines;
9. Universities and institutes will also remain open for the humanities departments until January 16, in full compliance of public health guidelines.
These decisions will go into effect on January 7, after which the government’s committee on coronavirus will meet to review health conditions in the Kurdistan Region.
Dr Jotiar Adil
Kurdistan Regional Government Spokesperson